Monday, October 2, 2017

Working In Tandem


 

My little darling has the uncanny ability to wake up the moment the alarm bell rings unlike me. With such clinical precision she begins her day, ever mindful that she has to leave for work by 9 in the morning. By the time I join her, she is ready with steaming coffee. We decide on the breakfast and lunch while sipping coffee. If there is one decision which is taken unanimously, it is what we have for breakfast and lunch, of which neither of us is fussy or choosy. It is sheer coincidence that the division of work is so smooth because of the fact that she likes to exactly what I am reluctant and vice-versa! Slicing onions is a ‘tearful’ act which I like and she doesn’t. My lit. da.is a multi-tasking expert. Even as she is placing the vessel on the gas stove she picks up from where she left off earlier on the innumerable incidents – some funny, some outrageous – and goes on to narrate them. I am amazed about her multi-tasking ability because she goes about her job with clinical precision not once faltering on the right measure of rice or the flame controller. Or rolling ‘rotis’ and frying them simultaneously! I tried several times to match her. I was a miserable failure as  I either forgot to turn the ‘roti’ over in my attempt to roll it or kept turning it over the pane and forgot to roll the ‘roti’. I thought it wise to confine myself to what I do best – listen! The clutter of the vessels went well with the ‘chatter’box. While her multi-tasking continued, I would help her doing sundry things like scraping coconut, running grinder and cleaning up the utensils. Both of us enjoy working in tandem, seldom showing disinterest. Even on our return from office, we share the work. While she does all the work that requires skill, I complete the other part – like dish washing, cleaning up the wash basin and tidying up the kitchen. This sharing of work has allowed us to work in relaxed manner which is a luxury to most working couple. Both of us derive immense joy in sharing the work. This has helped us cope with the pressure associated with working couple where unfortunately the balance is heavily tilted in favor of one community – usually male.

No comments: